Best Suppliers of Glass Carboys!
I suggest amazon.com as the first choice here... if anyone can ship these heavy bad boys free or flat rate it's them. See the weight of each glass carboy according to their size below.
A couple other trusted and long-time suppliers are:
Beer brewers and wine makers have been using these guys for years. They're trusted because of good customer service records and fast delivery. Not to mention the jillion other brewing goodies they sell all at one place.
Which One is Better?
There are some people who swear by the wide-mouthed glass carboy. I like some of the features but don't like others.
Is a wide-mouth carboy better than a regular carboy?
- easy to clean fermenter due to the large hole that you can fit your hand into
- adding oak chips or other ingredients is a breeze
- gallon graduation marks are handy
- large neck means more headspace and possible bacteria to contact the surface of the wine
- larger lid also has more surface area to invite bacterial infection
A standard carboy has a small neck so there's less chance of air infiltration to spoil a batch. And because the neck is so narrow there is very little air in contact with your must/wine as long as it's topped up.
If it wasn't for that I think the wide-mouth carboy would rule. However air infiltration and headspace volume are just too important in wine making to ignore.